Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

News Ireland up-date by Donie on Saturday


Twenty three homes in Mayo (15%)

Found to have high levels of the cancer-causing radon gas

      Test calls soar over Galway’s high radon levels
Fifteen per cent of Mayo homes recently tested for radon were found to have high levels of the cancer-causing gas according to figures released by the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland (RPII).
Some 300 homes from across the country have been identified by the RPII as having high levels of radon in the last seven months. Nationally radon is the second biggest cause of lung cancer after smoking, and is directly linked to up to 200 lung cancer deaths each year.
In Mayo, 149 tests for radon gas were completed in homes between June 1 2011 and December 31 2011. Of these, 23 were above the acceptable level of 200 becquerels per cubic metre (Bq/m3).
One home in Ballina had more than five times the acceptable level with a reading in excess of 1000 Bq/m3. The remaining 22 homes had readings above the acceptable level and were found in: Claremorris (eight), Ballina (five), Castlebar (three), Ballaghaderreen (one), Ballinrobe (one), Killala (one), Kiltimagh (one), Shrule (one), and Westport (one).
Commenting on the findings David Fenton, senior scientist at the RPII, said: “These figures show that Mayo has a significant radon problem. Our research indicates there are hundreds more homes across the county with high levels of radon gas. To date, only a very small proportion of these homes have been identified. Exposure to high radon levels causes lung cancer and many people are unknowingly living with very high levels in their homes. The only way people will know if it is in their homes is by testing.”
Measuring for radon and, in the event of a high reading, reducing the levels present are both easy to do. To test for radon, one radon detector is placed in a bedroom and a second in a living room for a three-month period. The detectors are sent and returned by post for analysis. The RPII and a number of private companies provide a radon measurement service. The cost of a measurement is around €50.
An interactive map is available on the RPII’s website (www.rpii.ie). Information can also be obtained by phoning 1800 300 600

Meet the real ‘Magda’Gaia: From Dunfanaghy ‘I don’t want to stay on the dole. I want to work’

                      
Her real name is Gaia Kowalik. She’s 38, originally from Gdansk, in Poland, and now lives in the seaside village of Dunfanaghy, in Co Donegal, about half an hour northwest of Letterkenny.

You might know her as Magda. Her story appeared in Wednesday’s Irish Independent, translated, badly as we were soon to find out, from a Polish newspaper. The story suggested she was a sponging welfare tourist, living the high life at the expense of the Irish social-welfare system, and thought Donegal was a “shithole”.
Nothing could be further from the truth. The Irish Independent’s article was based on an interview with Kowalik that had been mistranslated into English.
Kowalik is talkative – her accent blends her Polish background and a Donegal lilt – and much of her talk is about how much she loves Ireland. “I’ve always wanted to go to Ireland, since I was about 15 or 16 . . . I love Irish music and I love myths and legends from different parts of the world, including Ireland. Both my parents were teachers, so these were my bedtime stories. The music started with typical, y’know, U2, Sinead O’Connor . . . but then at some point I heard traditional Irish music and I absolutely loved it. I always wanted to go see Ireland, but it didn’t happen until I was thirtysomething. I came for holidays and I said I’m not going back.”
Kowalik left Poland in 2001, and spent five years in Amsterdam. There she met Irish people for the first time and immersed herself in Irish traditional music. In 2006, she came to Ireland for the first time. “A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to join her for a Clannad concert in Letterkenny, and I said of course. And I decided I’d stay for a week’s holiday. When I arrived in Dublin Airport I felt like I should be the pope kissing the ground. I felt home. It was the weirdest thing ever, because I have no Irish connection whatsoever.
“Then we went to Donegal and that was it. We stayed in the hostel near Dunfanaghy, and I said I don’t want to go back to Amsterdam. I had a job, I had an apartment in Amsterdam and I didn’t have anything here.”
Kowalik spent the next few years working at various jobs – waitressing, child-minding, bartending – and began training in massage, travelling back and forth to Poland for her courses because she felt her English wasn’t good enough to do them here. She funded these trips from savings and with support from friends and family.
Two years ago, she went on the dole. “I had been unemployed on and off. Then I came back to Dunfanaghy after the season was over, and it’s very hard to find a job then. I went to social welfare to ask what options I have. I had a conversation with a Fás officer to see what’s possible for me. And then I decided if it is possible to do a course or two and then start my own business straight away, that would be fantastic.”
She signed on as part of a plan to set herself up as a professional, self-employed masseur.
A couple of weeks ago, a Polish journalist friend asked to interview her for a newspaper in Poland. The article would be about the experiences of some Poles in Ireland. The article, in which she was anonymously referred to as Magda, was published last week. On Wednesday, the Irish Independent ran its now-controversial version of it.
“A friend of mine called me about half eleven or 12 . . . I was shocked. I couldn’t believe someone would just change the real article so much. It’s not just translation. It completely changed the context . . .
“I’m doing all possible things to get off [the dole and] to educate myself, because I want to stay where I am. I want to bring business and I want to bring life and money to Dunfanaghy. I’m not giving up on Dunfanaghy, on Donegal, on this absolutely stunning place. This is where I want to be.
“And calling Donegal a shithole? In the Polish article, it’s not even me, it’s the author saying, for some it’s zadupie, ‘arse of nowhere’. So for me reading that, because I love the place, reading that, I was furious . . . My friends started reacting, sending me links. It didn’t take long for them to figure out it was me.”
The media figured it out too. “I was tracked down very fast. I got four or five phone calls Wednesday. Some were really pushy. That was frightening. It added to stress greatly. Yesterday I had to pick up my dole at the post office and go for signing to social welfare. Perfect timing; very ironic.
“There was a journalist and photographer who then met me on the beach. The guy started snapping straight away. I said I don’t want to reveal my name. I don’t want my picture to be published. There was another one when I came back home from town; there was a car in front of my house. I just found it disrespectful. It was really annoying and upsetting.”
Throughout, Kowalik has remained well disposed to Irish people. “It kind of proved that I’m right about [the] Irish, because [of] the amount of positive, amazing comments. And they were not just my friends. Of course, there were angry comments, but they were at the system and at the ‘Magda’ character from the changed article. But when it started to come up that this was not what the article was about . . . it just proved me right.
“I think it’s amazing that the Irish system helps to start your own business. It gives you so many options to learn new skills; you just need to want to do it. There are things to change, but there are things that are really good as well. At least that’s my experience. I don’t want to stay on the dole. I want to work. The more people bring life to small places like Dunfanaghy the better. I love that place. The people who live there love it as well.”
What about going back to Poland? “No. You’re stuck with me for good.”

Man and teenager remanded over the killing of publican John Kenny in Oughterard

Marian Lingurar (35) leaving Galway courthouse yesterday having been charged with manslaughter. Photograph: Joe OShaughnessy.  
Marian Liinjurar 35 leaving the courthouse yesterday after being charged with manslaughter.

A 35-YEAR-OLD man and a teenage boy have been remanded in custody charged with the manslaughter of a schoolteacher, John Kenny, in his pub in Oughterard, Co Galway, last September.

Marian Lingurar, of Orchard Court, Blackpool, Cork, but originally from Romania and the teenager were arrested in Cork on Thursday night and brought before a special sitting of Galway District Court yesterday.
Both men were charged with the manslaughter of Mr Kenny at his pub on Main Street, Oughterard, on September 25th last year.
They were further charged with withholding information from the Garda investigation into the killing.
Det Sgt Tom Molloy gave evidence in court yesterday of arresting Mr Lingurar in Cork and charging him yesterday morning at Galway Garda station with the manslaughter of Mr Kenny (56) and with withholding information in relation to the Garda investigation. Det Molloy said Mr Lingurar replied, “I don’t know anything about that,” when the first charge was put to him, and then replied, “I don’t know anything. You do not have any proof that I did it,” to the second charge.
Garda Fergal Kilbane gave evidence of arresting the juvenile at a different address in Cork.
He said the teenager replied, “I didn’t kill anyone,” when charged with Mr Kenny’s manslaughter.
He replied, “I told you the truth,” when the second charge was put to him.
Gardaí objected to bail on grounds that both accused posed flight risks as they have no ties to this country and due to the seriousness of the charges.
Supt Noel Kelly said a book of evidence would have to be prepared and it would be a substantial file.
Judge John Lindsay refused bail and he remanded the juvenile in custody to St Patrick’s Institution to appear before Galway District Court next Wednesday.
He remanded Mr Lingurar in custody to Castlerea Prison to appear before Harristown District Court on Friday, February 10th next.
Free legal aid was granted to both.
The body of Mr Kenny, who was a teacher at Presentation College Athenry, was found on Sunday afternoon, September 25th, on the floor of a room in his pub.
His hands were tied behind his back.
It is believed he died some time late on Saturday night or early on Sunday morning.
A postmortem by State Pathologist Prof Marie Cassidy showed his death was the result of an assault.

Double joy for Donegal Star surfer Richie & the Fitzgerald Family

Surfer Richie Fitzgerald pictured with his baby daughter, Ella, and his Donegal Sports Award.   Surfer Richie Fitzgerald from Bundoran pictured with his new baby daughter, Ella, and his Donegal Sports Award.
There was cause for double celebration for Bundoran surfer Richard Fitzgerald last weekend.
Last Friday night he not only took top honours in the surfing category at the Donegal Sports Star Awards, but 12 hours later his wife, Briohny, gave birth to their first child named Ella.
Richard who was nominated in the surfing category with Easkey Britton, Meadbh McCloskey and Conor Maguire expressed his thanks to those who chose him as the winner and sent his apologies for being unable to collect his award in person:
“I would have loved to have been there to collect the award however my obligations were in the labour ward with Briohny. We are delighted with the arrival of baby Ella and would like to thank all our friends and family for their messages of congratulations. Myself and Briohny would also like to thank the hardworking staff, mid wife and doctors in Sligo General Hospital”
Richard’s award on the night was collected by Neil Murphy from Bundoran who represented Ireland last year at the world junior surfing championships in Peru.
Eileesh Buckley, Chairperson of the Irish Surfing Association added: “It’s great to see our national surfing representatives gaining recognition in their local communities. Richie has represented Ireland at the highest levels over the years both as an individual and as a member of the national team. The Irish Surfing Association would like to congratulate him on winning this award and also to extend our congratulations to himself and Briohny on the birth of baby Ella”.

No comments:

Post a Comment